Tip for week of Oct. 25, 2004
Read dammit, read!
If you're new to this game read the help files, don't expect someone to just hand you everything on a silver platter.
You need to actually understand how the game works in order to be good at it.
Most managers will be very willing to help you if you are making a real effort to learn the game. However, if you go into chat or post a note on the forums saying "how do I play?" you're going to get a cold shoulder. Some effort is needed.

Tip for week of Nov. 1, 2004
Here is a tip for newbies which will add the greatest fun to this game if you are not already aware.
It's not going to help you win any fights but it's going to improve your enjoyment of reading fight reports tenfold.
The tip is - use fighter links.
What that will allow you to do is read fight reports without knowing the result.
Here is how to use it.
Go to your fighter's public page. You can get there by clicking "gym" and then "your fighter's name" and up will come his private page. Then at the top of that page click on the "figher's name" which will bring up his public page.
At the top of the page is a link which says "If you wish to follow this fighter's career you can save this fighter's link."
Click on it.
Now on the lefthand menu click on "fighter links."
You will find the fighter's name there and beside it a column with numbers.
Clicking on his name will take you to his public page. Clicking on the number will take you to his last fight report.
There you can read the fight beginning with fighter introductions with no idea of the final result.
Now that you know how to use fighter links, enjoy reading the fights!

Tip for week of Nov. 7, 2004
Don't overestimate the importance of toughness and don't underestimate the importance of agility.
When I first started the game I thought agility was the least important of four abilities. Today, 6 world champions later, I now believe agility is the most important!
The most common mistake among new managers is to give their fighters too much toughness.
A fighter does not need anything more than the range of 9-12 toughness (depending on fighter type) to start their career.
Anything more than that is a waste of an AP that could be better spent elsewhere.

Tip for week of Nov. 15, 2004
Knowing what your opponent is going to do is the easiest route to victory.
By scouting what your opponent has done in past fights, especially against similar fighters as yours, will usually give you a pretty good idea of what he is going to do in a fight.
Don't be afraid to use pad and pen and write down what he does. Then throw it into the sparring partner and try to beat it. Once yo're consistently beating it in sparring you're more than likely going to do the same in the real fight.
About 70 per cent of managers use the same few fight plans over and over again, you just have to figure out in what circumstances.
Only an elite 5-10 per cent are virtually impossible to predict and that's what makes them elite. But if you can beat the other 70-90 per cent more than you lose, you're on your way to joining the elite.